Form, function and art meet nature with the retaining wall and pavers division of Hendel's Tree Care & Landscaping. We have a large variety of materials for you to choose from, whether you need a walkway, border, or wall. Let Hendel's team of professionals help you understand your needs and design your project.
- What products does Hendel's install?
- We can acquire and install almost any make of Segmental Retaining Block or Pavers.
- Do you do driveways?
- Yes, we excavate and install Brick Paver walkways, driveways, entranceways, and aprons.
- At what point should I call Hendel's for advice or a free estimate?
- Ideally, if you are considering a wall or driveway, any time is a good time. If you are building a home, however, we should be there before a blacktop or concrete driveway is installed and the yard is finish-graded. This insures a minimum cost of repair to any existing landscaping.
- Are there any limitations on Segmental Retaining Block walls regarding height and length?
- There are no length limitations on our block walls. Regarding height, some engineering might be necessary depending on proposed height. Hendel's provides the engineering support and layout necessary to provide a proper, safe, and attractive installation.
- What kind of footer does a Segmental Retaining Wall sit on?
- The majority of retaining walls sit on a 6 - 8 inch deep compacted granular footer, depending on wall height.
- Shouldn't a footer be made of concrete?
- In most cases, a compacted granular footer is superior to concrete. Concrete has a tendency to crack over time whereas a granular footer has enough inherent flexibility to deal with the normal expansion and contraction of the ground.
- What should I do to prepare the site before Hendel's arrives?
- You need to do nothing to prepare the worksite. Hendel's provides complete service from start to finish. We will even remove and dispose of the old wall (if there is one), do any necessary excavation, complete wall construction, backfill, and address any disturbed areas. This usually includes seeding and straw.*
- What are the advantages of a Segmental Retaining Wall versus a poured concrete or wood (railroad tie, etc.) retaining wall?
- Concrete will crack and deteriorate. Wood will rot out and attract insects. When installed properly, there would be no reason to ever replace a Segmental Retaining Wall regardless of it's size.
- What do you use to backfill?
- Most walls 5 feet and under are backfilled with washed, free-draining gravel topped with 6-8" of topsoil. Walls over 5 feet may require engineering which will specify the type of granular backfill used. Hendel's provides the engineering support necessary in such cases.
- Why should I consider a Brick Paver versus asphalt, concrete, or stamped concrete?
- Brick Pavers are superior for a number of reasons. First, Brick Pavers usually cost less than asphalt or concrete. Second, they are stronger and less affected by varying temperatures: They remain strong whether hot or cold. Third, they last longer and require less maintenance than asphalt or concrete, and they are much easier to repair or remove. Finally, there are more colors and styles available with Brick Pavers, so you have more design flexibility.
*Additional costs might be incurred... Call for free estimate.
Sample Paver Colors
Sample colors are approximate only and are courtesy of Reading Rock. Visit their site at www.readingrock.com to see more!